Sunday, May 10, 2009

Beam me up, Scotty.

I pretty much like three kinds of movies: comedies, romances, and movies that make you think.

I give you My Favorite Movies.

1. Pride and Prejudice

Definitely one of the best love stories of all time. This movie is flawless—the actors are great, the cinematography is beautiful, and the score is amazing.

2. WALL-E


Best Pixar movie ever. I think I watched this one a few too many times though…But it’s still one of my top 3. The story and score are great.

3. Twilight


Um yeah. I know this movie has its flaws. Too bad.

Under normal circumstances, I’m not really a fan of action movies. I thought Spiderman 3 was boring. The Dark Knight was too long. Ironman was nothing special. However, Friday night I had the urge to see an action movie. No idea why. My friends and I were going go to see The Soloist, but I wasn’t feeling it. My friend Sean didn’t really want to see it either. So we decided to go see a different movie by ourselves.


We saw Star Trek.



I don’t know why I had the urge to see it. I’m no Trekkie, I had never seen the series, I wouldn’t be able to tell you any of its catchphrases if you asked me. All I knew going into it was that the movie had really good reviews on RottenTomatoes.com (which is a rarity) and everyone I knew who saw it said it was amazing.

And, it was.

I love submerging myself in fictional worlds, as evidenced by my obsession love of Harry Potter, Twilight, and The Host. It’s escapism at its best; you leave the world you know and learn the different rules, customs, and lifestyles of another.


That’s where Star Trek had me from the start—from the very beginning of the movie, you are thrown into another world with its own problems to solve. The element of time travel intrigued me; it had me thinking for days after I watched the movie, trying to go back to the beginning of the movie in my mind to try to see all the clues of what was to come.

While I lose interest in most action movies when the “action” never seems to end, this one still captivated me because it was so character driven.



While the action and suspense never let up, the characters were still developed throughout so that you felt that you really understood their personalities and grew to care about the characters.


Among all of this, the movie was just well made. The score was great; you get goosebumps as the music crescendos with your first view of the Enterprise. The style of cinematography was really cool too—the director, J.J. Abrams, chose to utilize “lens flares” in many scenes, where you see a bright flash of light on the screen. While some scenes include too many of these flares, it gives an ultra modern feel and sometimes they are quite beautiful.

And the actors too!


clicky for maximum badass

Chris Pine as James Kirk was great: cocky, funny, and super hot. Zachary Quinto as Spock was amazing and heartbreaking.

Sigh. The movie is just freaking epic. I still don't know why this movie appealed to me as much as it did.

After Googling/IMBDing/Wikipediaing the movie straight for the past couple days, my friend Sean and I decided we’re going to see it again. Now I just have to wait two days to see Chris Pine again.

Sigh

1 comment:

GardenofEdee said...

So I should def. see Star Trek? I'll keep that in mind =)
I sorta can't believe Twilight is in your top 3 movies. I like it and enjoy watching it... but not in my top 3 or 5 probably. lol
Hope everything is going good with the end of school & stuff.